Sunday, December 11, 2011

Tis' the Season

It's our first Christmas as a married couple and we're really enjoying the excitement of starting our own family traditions, as well as bringing together some of our favorite traditions from our own families. This is the first year (at least that I can ever remember) that we got a REAL Christmas tree!
After Thanksgiving, Danny and I bundled up, bought a hot Caramel Apple Spice from Starbucks (delicious!), and went in search of our first family tree. It was so exciting as I had never gone shopping for a tree before. We were a little astonished by the prices at first. I guess that's what you get for unknowingly starting in Noble Fir section. We were relieved to come to the end of the line where the $20 price tags were. I was surprised at how good they looked for only $20 (again, I'm new to this, so I had no idea of good or bad prices). Although I was a newbie, I was still smart and measured the space we had before going to the tree lot. We poked around a bit, but ended up liking one that was sitting right in front, calling our names. We named him Doug. We both agreed that it was really nice having Danny's truck to just throw it in the bed, as opposed to roping it to the roof and worrying about sap and rope. Among this I also learned that real trees are messy (but still worth it) and smell reeeaaally good when you walk into the house.
I've also had a lot of fun this year decorating our small apartment for the first time. We didn't really have any decorations, but going to our local dollar store helped a little, plus my parents were gracious enough to "thin out" some of their decorations as well. It didn't take much, but we're definitely feeling the Christmas spirit in our home. We finally started some Christmas shopping this weekend (but of course aren't finished yet) and we had a blast! It's a wonderful season for giving and we're having so much fun planning gifts, finding great deals, and putting the wrapped gifts under our first Christmas tree. Now we're looking forward to a week off work with lots of family time and sleeping in.


No comments:

Post a Comment